Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fanhood or Fantasy Football: what do you put first?

I have been a long time fantasy football fan, and even a longer time NFL fan. I found myself last week in an interesting conundrum between rooting for my fantasy team, or my New England Patriots. I will always be a diehard Patriots fan, and it pained me to see that I was going against Tom Brady and Randy Moss this week. The Patriots played their most important game so far this season against the Colts, however my fantasy team(in which the winner receives 600 dollars) was in a grueling matchup between the top two teams in my league. How am I supposed to hope Randy Moss and Tom Brady don't succeed when they are my two favorite players in the NFL? Personally, I put my fanhood of the Pats above my love for winning money and decided it was best for the Patriots to win. There is a very thin line between rooting for fantasy teams and actual teams. In a lot of situations you will have a player going against your favorite team, but still hope they have a good game. In my opinion fantasy football can both enchance your experience watching football, but can also make you scratch your head in confusion as to what is right.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is hard to choose between the two. Although I did not do fantasy football this year my good friends did. We are huge bear’s fans because we are from Chicago. There were countless games where they couldn’t decide on what team to root for because there is a lot of money that could be won.

    I think that people could root for both fantasy and their NFL team at the same time. But, I would choose to root for the bears compared to a fantasy team. Having fantasy football along with the NFL makes watching the games a lot more interesting. Because if something bad happens to your NFL team most likely you are still happy because you are gaining fantasy points. Rooting for both teams defiantly tends to put more stress on the games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that you can draw a comparison between the dilemma you faced and what a professional athlete who gambles on his/her team might also face.

    ReplyDelete