Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ethical Decision Making: Should the NFL be less strick on roughing the passer calls?

Only one month into the NFL season there have been complaints by coaches, players, and fans about the new rule on roughing the passer in the NFL. The new rule states that you are not allowed to hit the quarterback below the knees. The truth is, this rule was implimented because Tom Brady was inactive the entire 2008 season because of a torn ACL and MCL suffered in the first game of last season. This week the rule came to a head when the Ravens and Patriots played last Sunday. Terelle Suggs was called for a phantom roughing the passer call on Tom Terrific that lead to a Patriot touchdown. The call pretty much cost the Ravens the game. Having said that, I am a huge fan of the Patriots so I cannot complain. However I do think NFL commissioner Rodger Goodell should realize that football is a physical sport and that grown men can take getting tackled. The problem is, the NFL is a business, so of course they are trying to protect some of there biggest assets, superstar quarterbacks. Unfortunatly for us fans the integrity of the game will continue to be compromised everytime a soft roughing the passer call is called.

2 comments:

  1. Sean,

    Could not agree with you more. I, personally, am a Chicago Bears fan. However, watching the Patriots last year with Matt Cassel was exciting for the NFL and proved how good the Patriots really are. To be honest, had Brady not gone down with that injury, there would be no Matt Cassel. His story (Cassel's) would not exist and only true Patriots' fans would know about Cassel not starting a game since high school. I think Goodell is trying to do too much. Football is known for the brutal, bone-crushing hits. With a potential NFL lockout upcoming, now is not the time to be going "soft" on the NFL fans. This year, had the rule not changed, I would have looked forward to seeing who was going to be the next Matt Cassel. Without Cassel having a shot to start due to Brady's injury, he would not be in Kansas City and making the money he makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Roger Goodell could intervene in the Browns' horrible season, by making a rule that Eric Mangini cannot coach, or something like that. Nick brought up a good point about Matt Cassel being discovered as a result of Tom Brady's hit last year.

    ReplyDelete