Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tim Tebow: Cry Me A River

Last week our class had a presentation about athletes being good or bad role models for children. It is not an athlete's job to be a good role model, it is to be a good athlete. Despite Tim Tebow being the nicest human being to set foot on a field, I cannot stand him. If you are unaware, Tim Tebow(QB at Florida) thinks he is god's child. Every single game he writes a different bible proverb or on his eye black. Tim also spends most of his offseason in third world countries doing bible retreats, preaching his savior, and teaching little kids who have not bathed for three weeks how to read. These kind of actions go to show you that Tim is truly selfless and genuine person, so why on Earth do I always root against him? Well two weeks ago I was reminded when he started sobbing his eyes out because Florida lost the SEC championship to Alabama. Crying Tim? You are a Heisman Trophy winner, a 2-time National Champion, and you stand on the sideline crying because you lost a game? Give me a break. Timmy T, I got news for you buddy, you have accomplished more then any other player has in college football history. No one feels bad for you man. You go around preaching to all these unfortunate starving kids then you act like an immature, spoiled child when you finally lose a game of importance. Child Please. Tim you of all people should know that a stupid football game is nothing to cry over. There are kids in Darfur who haven't eaten since your last National Championship, and you have the ignorance to stand on the sideline next to all your teammates, coaches, and fans and just wimper. Real mental toughness Tim. I'm sure every NFL coach would love to his Quarterback crying like a high school girl who just got dumped after a loss.

3 comments:

  1. I agree in the fact that he should have not cried and acted more appropriate, but maybe there is more behind this than we k now. Just because he won all those awards doesn't means that losing doesn't get to you. No body likes to lose and maybe the game meant more to him than we knew. I dont think we should judge him because he cried because losing sucks and no body wants to lose. However i do believe he should have handled it more professionally and waited till after the game to shead his tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean I really think that you should think about the situation of which Tebow cried. I myself to find rooting against him too because I did not want to see him win the Heisman a second time because I always want Archie to be the only two time winner. In regards to Tebow though he puts his heart and soul into everything he does. I do not see that he was crying because of being a sore loser but because of what he worked so hard for his past 4 years was diminished. To lose a championship game at any level is hard and for someone who has been the face of his team for all four years of being there makes it even more difficult. He probably felt like he let so many people down and also himself. I am glad he cried because it shows how hard he works. It also teaches kids that it is ok to be an athlete and cry; they don’t have to be so strong all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be pretty harsh on Tebow! Interestingly, we talked about whether male athletes should "cry" in the "Sport & Gender" class, and this happened to be one of the conditions in which the class deemed it would be all right. As for the missions, I would much rather see athletes going to poor countries than... how was it you put it on Max's blog... "nailing sluts?"

    ReplyDelete